Retinol, also known as vitamin A, is a large family of retinoids (Retinoids). It is sought after for its wide range of applications related to anti-aging, acne suppression, and addressing oily skin, with reliable results and evidence to back them up.
Retinoids, substances that are structurally and functionally similar to retinoids, include those for drugs: retinoic acid, isotretinoin, adapalene, tazarotene; and for cosmetics: retinol (retinol), retinal, retinyl palmitate, retinyl propionate, retinyl retinoate, and hydroxypinacrine retinoate (HPR).
These substances can be converted to each other and eventually into retinoic acid to exert effects on skin targets, and the conversion pathways are as follows.
(1) absorbed retinol, if not consumed, will be converted into retinyl palmitate stored, when the body needs it, the relevant esterase will hydrolyze the palmitate bond (the red position in the diagram of retinyl ester structure breaks open), and can release retinol.
(2) Retinol is oxidized by hydroxyl groups to retinal, which is an intermediate state in the conversion of retinol to retinoic acid.
(3) Retinal is further oxidized with the addition of an oxygen atom and becomes retinoic acid. That is retinoic acid, which is the actual form in which retinoids function.
I. Properties of retinol and its derivatives.
1. Retinol (RETINOL)
Hydrolyzed from β-carotene, it can be stored as an ester or oxidized to the pharmacologically active form of retinoic acid. NEUTRIHERBS RENTIINOL EYE CREAM uses retinyl palmitate + tocopheryl acetate + caffeine + fermentation products of bifid yeast lysate as the main efficacy with a creamy texture.
2. Retinal (RETINAL)
As an intermediate product in the conversion of retinol to retinoic acid, it can relieve the symptoms of rosacea.
3. Retinyl palmitate (RETINYL PALMITATE)
The main role of endogenous retinyl palmitate in the body is to preserve retinol from the daily diet.
4. Retinoic acid (RETINOIC ACID, medicinal ingredient)
It is a form of retinoid acting on the skin to treat photodamaged skin, hyperpigmentation spots, fine lines, and wrinkles. As a medicinal ingredient, it is prohibited in cosmetics.
5. Hydroxypinacol retinoic acid ester (HPR)
It is retinol modified by pinacol, with small molecular weight, easier transdermal absorption, high stability, and significantly improved effect advantages.
6. Retinyl acetate (RETINYL ACETATE)
A retinyl derivative with more stable properties.
NEUTRIHERBS RETINOL CREAM with a refreshing creamy state, easy product absorption not sticky, and is non-greasy, the formula contains.
- VA and VE as anti-aging light wrinkle, synergistic, and efficient and maximize the maintenance of vitamin A alcohol activity.
- sodium hyaluronate, and dextran as a moisturizer.
- Apple extract, and tea extract as antioxidants
II. Introduction of the efficacy of vitamin A alcohol
Vitamin A alcohol exerts its aging-reducing effects mainly by affecting gene expression, penetrates well into the skin, and is a reliable ingredient for treating skin problems such as excessive sebum, hyperpigmentation, and wrinkles. The following effects have been scientifically proven.
Vitamin A alcohol can inhibit the activity of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) produced by UV over-stimulation, reduce collagen and elastin fiber damage, stunt photo-aging, and prevent the appearance of wrinkles and sagging skin. As shown in the picture: volunteers showed significant improvement in fine lines around the eyes after 9 months of use.
It can inhibit complexities activity, inhibit melanin production while accelerating cell metabolism, reduce pigmentation and discoloration, and even skin tone and smooth skin.
3. Acne Removal
It can effectively inhibit or treat acne and relieve inflammation while having the effect of astringent pores.
III. Vitamin A alcohol use precautions
a). High concentrations of retinol are irritating and require skin tolerance testing before use;
b). Avoid using strong irritant products, such as brush acid.
c). alcohol has the effect of exfoliating the stratum corneum, so it should be used with good skin moisturization.
Vitamin A alcohol has photosensitivity and is susceptible to changes induced by UV stimulation. Therefore, products containing this ingredient should be used at night and stored in light-proof packages.